Sunday, March 01, 2009

Dry Up!





This is Edgar. Edgar the Bulldog.


He lives with my mother and father-in-law and likes to sleep next to the floor heater. His look in this picture perfectly describes my mood today: a little exasperated, a little edgy, a little annoyed. I woke up fine, though perhaps a little cloudy from over-imbibing wine last night with friends (of course bocce ball at 3 pm with a few beers turned into opening up wine until after midnight!). But what's really bothering me, what really has me furrowing my brow, growling, panting at the slightest distraction: it is still raining! It is 55 today and raining; just like it was yesterday, which was just like the day before and this is just what it will do for the next 5 days. And, yes, with this rain comes cool breezes, late night chills, and a general uneasiness about putting on the right clothes in the morning. The rain also means that any establishment -- with workers who are overheating and customers who have just come in to warm up and stay dry -- invariably has the door open. For instance:

Friday Night -- Beretta

8 p.m. -- Waiting for bartender to make my first drink of the evening. I am very patiently waiting, because he is ever so busy making these cocktails for people who come here because the pizza is so hip. And when I say people, I mean people who travel all the way from the Marina, for goodness sake. I am staring at my boring sweater and jeans as the ninth girl in a small black dress passes by me. I whisper to my husband, "I should have worn something nicer. I forgot how hip this place was." He responds, "Your hottest in a sweater." I retort, "I don't believe you," but he actually looks at me in that "I'm serious" way, so I lean over and try to make out with him a little.

8:15 p.m. -- Still waiting for the first cocktail. Pete has become catatonic because all he can think about is a drink and food. The conversation between us has dwindled as we wonder why on earth we didn't just go to La Ciccia. Oh, right, the cocktail.

8:20 p.m. -- Pete has flagged down the bartender and we're waiting for the drink. As we wait, I take my jacket off and sling it over my purse because there is no place to hang it hear. I nearly wack 5 people doing this because I'm not the only one who had this idea this evening. As I begin to sip my first drink, I feel my hair moving and, wait, what's that...that, that's a...that's a breeze people! A breeze. A cold one. I turn and I stare and what am I staring at? The door is open.

8:21 p.m. -- Diners are now staring with me; we are all in shock. We were just trying to get a drink and eat some delicious pizza while staying out of the rain. None of these things are happening now for most of us. We have: no drink, no pizza, and cold breeze. Pete tries to distract me by rubbing my cheek, but all I can do is glare while gulping my drink down.

8:24 p.m. -- My drink (the londsdale: gin, apple, lemon, basil, honey) is gone. I'm cold. I've been standing for 25 minutes. Apparently, the waitstaff is warm. I'm very sympathetic to overheated servers; I've been one, but isn't there a backdoor where you can stick your head outside? Seriously? Shut the...oh, yes, you must have felt me. The door is being shut. Pete is flagging down a second drink. Maybe my weekend will be ok after all.

9:15 p.m. -- 8 23 year-olds are seated next to me and Pete at the communal table. They have been drinking for awhile. At least two of them, you can tell, will be hooking up this evening. Pete and I reminisce on this point and decide, then, that we like Berretta on Tuesday nights. The food was bold, mostly impressive (except for the baccala, which just seemed a little too dry), and I am comforted by the gregariousness of all these people who waited so patiently for their drinks and pizza, despite the breeze.

So, I'm trying to put my game face on for this week, but, deep down, I really just want to stay inside and sleep by the heater. Hurumph!

Coming this week: I'm hoping to post a "rain-gear" round up. We'll see if my students let me get out of this room to take any pics. I guess the weather will provide me with plenty of chances.

Classroom Chaos...

No comments: